Spectrum Health Transplant Workshops
2012 Transplant Games Workshop: Stretches on the Transplant Journey
An opportunity for those who have been affected by organ transplantation and/or donation to hear and participate in workshops and a panel discussion with Spectrum Health transplant professionals, choosing from two of four workshops on organ transplant, donation and related issues.
Spectrum Health is presenting sponsor of the 2012 Transplant Games of America and is the home of leading regional transplant programs in heart, lung, pediatric kidney and pediatric bone marrow.
Date: Monday, July 30, 2012
Time: 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Place: Grand Valley State University, Loutit Hall
CLICK HERE to RSVP
Description: Stretches on the Transplant Journey
A stretch on a journey is anything that stands out for its particular character—an uphill slog, a winding path or a period of delay and postponement. These stretches force us to reach beyond where we are comfortable—and this can be painful.
The main goal of any transplant is to extend and reinvigorate a life. In the process of reaching this goal, individuals, families and professionals in the field are invariably stretched in many ways.
This three-hour event aims to provide encouragement, education and support to all who feel stretched along a transplant journey. It includes:
Workshops (choice of two):
Managing Stress Related to a Transplant:
- Steve Pastyrnak, PhD. Steve is a child psychologist with Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital.
Burned Out? Navigating Treatment Barriers:
- Steve Albrecht, PhD. Steve is a child psychologist with Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital.
- Kim Gusse, LMSW, ACSW. Kim is the social worker on the Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital Nephrology and Kidney Transplant team.
- Craig Van Dellen, MSW, is the social worker on the Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital Blood & Marrow Transplant team.
Acknowledging Losses within Transplant Gains:
- Lorie Shier, Master of Divinity. Lorie is a bereavement services coordinator for Spectrum Health and a local therapist.
- Cindi Veldheer DeYoung, Master of Divinity. Cindi is chaplain on the LVAD and Heart Transplant team in the Meijer Heart Center.
A Shared Conversation about the TGA and Our Own Journeys:
- Amber Lewandowski, LLMSW. Amber is the social worker on the new Spectrum Health Lung Transplant team.
- Tina Simmons, MSW. Tina is the social worker on the LVAD and Heart Transplant team in the Meijer Heart Center.
Interactive Panel Discussion
The transplant professionals will come together for a supportive, interdisciplinary panel and will take questions, offer comments and share insights
Moderator: Steve Van Heest, Doctor of Ministry. Steve is a kidney transplant recipient and a TGA athlete. He directs Pastoral Care and Bereavement Services for Spectrum Health.
Enjoy an informal opportunity for conversation after the panel discussion with the workshop professionals and other attendees
CLICK HERE to RSVP for this event.